Monday, June 15, 2009

Midnight Muse

Poems for my daughter Ananya

(written for her, inspired by her, when she was a month old)

Who are you?

Who are you, my darling?

What tidings do you bring?

Where do you come from?

Where do you have to go?

When today was still unborn

Where were you, my life's breath?

When today will be gone

Where and how will you be (after I'm gone)

What made you come to me?

Who showed you to me?

Have we met before somewhere, sometime?

Will we meet again, after we part this time?

What is it that makes you part of me, but separate

That you belong to me, but are not mine?

Are you -

a lost angel looking for your lost world and your lost wings?


Gentle Stirrings.

Like the gentle stirring in the bosom of the woods

When the first light of dawn warms a million beating hearts within

Like the sudden burst of colour on a dreary, rainy day

When the wind blows away wisps of gossamer cloud as He shines through

Like a little pink bud shaking all over with dew

Waking up for a new day, bathed and cleansed

My baby stirs up, from a restful repast.

(2001)

5 comments: